Sunday, November 29, 2009

Our Five Senses

Danny and I were delighted that we could both go to spend Thursday morning with Eensie at school! The kindergarteners were celebrating the end of their five senses unit of inquiry and boy were all of the parents in for a treat! I think I say this everytime I write about Eens's teachers, but once again they completely outdid themselves!!

We began the morning going to different stations that the students were manning. At each of the stations we had to use our different senses...Eens was at the tasting station and he had quite the giggles giving me seaweed while I was wearing a blindfold! Some of the other stations were, pin the tail on the donkey, figuring out numbers using touch with a blindfold on, using binoculars to see pictures students were holding up down the hallway, feeling inside a box to find specific items, listening to sounds with blindfolds on and trying to decipher what was making the sound, and figuring out different smells that were inside a bottle! I am positive a lot of work went into this by both teachers and students! After we went through the stations, Eens read us two books that he had completed and then we had a morning tea with the teachers while the students went and had snack. When they returned, we all went to the gym and continued using our senses!! We did an obstacle course blindfolded, climbed the rock wall, and did a bit of dancing, including the Hokey Pokey (speaking of this, I was told by our Brits that they call it the Hokey Cokey - what in the world is up with that??!!)!

This was much harder than it looked - it doesn't help that I'm afraid of heights!!I'm really only about one rock up off the floor - it's called creative photography by my dear husband!!
We had such a fun morning with Eens - it is very rare when both Danny and I can have one on one time with a child at the same time, so it is definitely time to be cherished!!

No comments: