Sunday, November 15, 2009

In search of art!

Last weekend we decided to drive to Beijing for a little family time and a much needed haircut for the boys!! I love getting away on the weekends because then I don't putter around the house thinking of silly things to do when I could be spending time with Danny and the munchkins! It took us a bit of time to actually get to Beijing - we left our house at 9:45 and didn't arrive at our hotel until 2:30 in the afternoon, thanks in large part to the fog and also to the fact that our driver got us extremely lost and refused to call and ask for directions (typical man!! hehe!!)!

We decided to try out the new Ascott (serviced apartments where we usually stay in Asia!) that recently opened in Beijing for something new. It was located within Raffles City mall, close to the Forbidden City. The rooms were obviously brand new and very modern, but they were smaller than what we are used to at the other Ascott. We also had a bit of a surprise in the children's pool when Danny found tiles coming up on the bottom, which could have very easily cut someone's foot. That ended our swimming excursion quickly! Our friends were also there at the same time and they saw a little mouse run across the lobby. Oh my, not really what we were expecting, but we were in a good location and I think it is always fun to try something unfamiliar occassionally, but our next trip to Beijing will definitely find us back at the "old" Ascott!!

After unpacking, we set out straight away to get the boys a haircut. There was so much hair on the floor after Eens was done. He was looking very hairy, but not anymore! While the boys were getting haircuts, Ellie and I went and did a little window shopping for her birthday! She had fun picking out things while I tried to keep up by writing it all down - I'm glad we don't have a limited number of ideas!! After the haircut we wandered outside to enjoy the beautiful night and then we were off to dinner!
On Sunday I decided that we should do something cultural, besides shopping, so I insisted we go to the 798 Art District. I had heard good things about this area, and the weather was still nice, so I thought we should take advantage of it! On the way I got a lecture from Ellie on the difference between art and culture - it was actually very informative! When we arrived everyone, including myself was skeptical about being there. The area is comprised of abandoned factory buildings that started off as a "funky artists enclave". The government now controls the area and they have taken away the "funky" part of it, but it is nicely kept and has many cafes and shops along the streets. You basically walk down alleyways and through the factories until you see something interesting and then you can go into that exhibit. It is primarily contemporary art that is showcased.

Some of the original equipment used in the factory!

I enjoyed myself very much, but I think the rest of the family could have done without searching for art on a Sunday afternoon!!

No comments: