Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Life without an ayi!

Oh, I can imagine you all are laughing and thinking to yourselves, "welcome back to the real world!". And I can tell you right away that I am not ready for the real world just yet!! My ayi called on Monday morning saying she had a fever and couldn't come to work. I am very considerate so I told her that she should take Tuesday off too and rest. Well, by today (Tues.) at 3:00pm I had had enough and had our office manager call her and make sure she would be coming to work on Wednesday! I was pretty much begging and pleading!! She said she was much better and hadn't had a fever for 24 hours - I am so relieved!!

This all happened at a time when I was beginning to think that I don't need an ayi all the time. I had told both mom and T last week that I was tired of someone always being in my house. I was complaining to Danny that her cleaning was not great. And I was telling my friends that she was getting a bit fiesty. Yes, I take it all back now and I have learned a very valuable lesson - don't take these luxuries for granted!! One day I will be moving back to the US and I will have to do the laundry, cleaning, and cooking - after these two days of doing it ALL again, I'm going to enjoy my ayi and stop complaining!!

One funny story did come out of this little two day saga! Yesterday (yes, day 1) I decided that I should treat myself to a massage because I was working so hard! I tried a new one and was shocked when she started doing a body scrub after the massage (I didn't remember that part in the brochure). It was okay because I probably needed my skin refreshed due to the dry weather. After I was all scrubbed up she told me to take a shower, so I went into the room and was starting to wash all of the scrub off when the water turned cold. There was no way I was taking a cold shower so I did the best I could to wash the stuff off with my hands. I thought I did a pretty good job, but about an hour later I was talking to our office manager, and she looked at me oddly. I finally asked her what was wrong and she said I was yellow - I looked at my hands and screamed a bit because they were in fact yellow!! Apparently, because I didn't get all of the scrub off, I was turning yellow all over!! So much for trying to hide my "hard" day that included a massage from Danny!! I got no sympathy whatsoever!!

No comments: