Thursday, November 5, 2009

Let the Races Begin!!

As I have said numerous times, one of the greatest things about living in China is learning about different cultures throughout the world. On Tuesday I enjoyed my first Melbourne Cup racing event. My friend from Melbourne invited people over for a lunch and the opportunity to watch the main race. We were lucky in the fact that there is only a three hour time difference with Australia, so the main race began at about 12:00 our time.

My friend was so well prepared! The lunch arrangement was delicious - we all brought favorites from our countries. She also prepared a mini betting game. We each put in money and then we picked a water bottle. Each water bottle had a name of a horse in the race and all their stats - very clever!! I picked two horses, Newport and Shocking. And schockingly enough, Shocking WON!!! It was a last second come from behind victory, but apparently this horse was one of the favorites! I used my hard earned money to buy a new vaccuum cleaner - I am way too practical (Danny's just happy I didn't buy more purses!!)!

The Melbourne Cup is very similar to the Kentucky Derby in that we all had to wear some sort of hat or hair piece! It was so much fun to dress up during the day. Granted, I got stared at plenty in my heels when I went grocery shopping afterwards!! Some of my friends went all out with their lovely attire!

No comments: