Thursday, March 26, 2009

Welcome to Nursery Coopie!

Cooper started school the day after his birthday! I know you must find that funny, the boy turns three and I send him to school, and yes, that is basically what happened!! Deere would not pay for him to go to school until he was three, so I thought I would follow the rule to a T and wait until the day after. I would have sent him earlier because he was so bored at home. I know he loved being with his mommy (and I loved being with him too!), but he had very little interaction with children his age. I believe, especially here, that he needs socialization with other children and some structure and routine. At home, I try my hardest (don't laugh Danny!) to be consistent with his discipline, but it is a bit hard when I turn my back and ayi offers him a chocolate bar in time out!!! So now, he is in a safe, loving environment with what appears to be a billion little three and four year olds!! I'm not sure how his extremely patient teachers do it on a daily basis!!

His first day went better than expected. Danny took the morning off so he could help me take him to his classroom. He went in a bit hesitant, but he did go through the door. He found his locker and we helped him unpack his backpack. I showed him the bathroom and then we decided that it would be best for us to make a clean break. One of his teachers reassured us that she was a pro at distracting children. We wondered if she realized what a strong willed little boy she was dealing with, but we trusted her so we left to roam the hallways. We had to go about two hallways over to not hear his protests and screams, but miraculously after about 5 minutes, all was quiet! I had packed a book and magazine to sit in the parents room all morning in case he really "lost" it - no need, one of his teachers came in and said it would be fine if I went home!!

Danny and I left, a bit unsure, but happy that he was finally playing with other kids! We peeked at him on the playground as we left the building and he was happy as could be - completely in his element!

I went to pick him up at noon and I got a great big hug and a good report from the teachers. It helps when you have a brother in pre-K that can play with you and comfort you! He couldn't stop talking about the fact that he was a big boy because he played with Eens at school. He really looks up to his big brother and Eens enjoys his new status!!

Day 2 of nursery started with a ride on the bus. Not only did Coop get to ride the bus, but so did mommy. I really think I am going to have to start taking Dramimine on a daily basis...I wonder what the health effects of that would be??!!! I will be riding the bus every morning at 7:30 because I do not feel comfortable allowing my 3 year old to go at it alone. We cannot use our driver because Dan leaves for work at that time, so we all will ride the bus and rough it!! (Let me point out that arranging transportation is one of the biggest frustrations for me here!!) The bus is not what I would call a bus. The "nice" bus does not have room for Coop, so the four of us get to ride in a van turned into a bus with one seat belt per row, not the safest vehicle I have been in, but what choice do I have?!
After the bumpy ride, we made it to school and Coop assured me that he was not going to cry. We went into the classroom and unpacked his bag, but he refused to take off his coat. Okay, I decided to take him to the potty and then I would leave. We were in the little stall and he refused to leave. I told him that was fine, he could stay in there but mommy had to go. I told the teachers he was in the stall and I walked out. About 10 seconds later I hear the pounding and the screaming. I found out later that one of the teachers had to physically hold him so he would not harm himself. Yep, that's the fiesty son I know!! I waited the screaming out and in less than 3 minutes it was over!!

I am really proud of him and I know he will thrive in such a wonderful environment. For me, this means an extra 2 1/2 hours a day to get some things done, but my heart longs for that hug at 12:00!! I miss him!

No comments: