Monday, March 16, 2009

My First Outside Run!

I decided that it was about time I get outside and run, no more excuses about the pollution or concern about where to run, I went out and hit the pavement!! I did so not thinking entirely about my running outfit. It was quite appropriate I thought, a cute running skirt (yes, I'm all girl when I run!!), a long sleeve T and my tennies. Well, you would have thought I was running naked from all of the stares and honks I received while running down the sidewalk. Now, my form is nothing to write home about, so I know they were not focusing on that! It had to be my outfit, and the fact that I was actually running for excercise outside!!

You see, in the 8 months that I have lived here, I have only seen one person running outside in the area we live. I most definitely could have missed some, but the point is, there are very few people that run outside. I do see many locals running and working out at the Sheraton gym, so I know they do run, but just not outside! Along the river, each morning, I see people practicing tai chi and ballroom dancing, but no running! So I guess, in all fairness, imagine their surprise seeing a white girl running down the street - they probably assumed I was running from something!

Now about the outfit, I should have thought about it before I left the house, but I committed a bit of a faux pas. I realized this last year during our look/see trip that most locals do not wear shorts or summery clothes (regardless of the heat) until after May holiday, which is at the beginning of May. So, most likely they were not gawking at my running gear, but instead imagining that I must be freezing in a skirt before May!!

Living here is truly a learning experience everyday!! But don't worry, I'll be back out again tomorrow on the road and in another skirt (it's supposed to be in the upper 70's), just this time I won't be so self conscious!!

2 comments:

tjmummy said...

this was very funny to read!
but yes, come to think of it, I haven't seen anyone jogging ard here yet either, and certainly not in a skirt.
but i would like to... it'd make me feel more at home. and perhaps motivate me too. i don't feel that brave yet.. way to go!

The St. Martin's said...

Anna - you should just do it!! It felt quite liberating!! I'm going to try and go again today! Let's get together soon if we can! Have they opened any of the food shops in the new E-Mart?