Thursday, March 12, 2009

Our Circulatory Expert

Today Ellie finished another unit of inquiry in grade 1 with a parent tea! She had one of these earlier in the year after they finished their family unit. I was excited to go and watch her speak in front of others and see how much she learned about the human body. She assured me that her report was really good and that she had written more than three sentences (Ellie does not enjoy writing and it is like pulling teeth to get her to produce quality work!!).

She truly impressed me with a clearly written report and sources to back up her facts. She even had a little clip on the internet ready for me to watch that discussed the circulatory system in greater detail. I love watching her confidently speak in public - I'm not sure I could have done that when I was 7!!
I do have to admit that I was a bit skeptical about units of inquiry as a way of teaching and learning when we first arrived. I was not sure how much Ellie would learn and if she would retain the information. Now, after watching her study 3 different units, I couldn't be more pleased. The process allows the students to be more responsible for their learning. The teachers, of course, guide and make sure they learn key points for the unit, but the kids get to use the learning style that fits them best to demonstrate their understanding!

1 comment:

tjmummy said...

The stuff she wrote about seems like stuff we learnt in secondary school/ junior high? I am really impressed too!