Friday, March 13, 2009

Tea and Tailoring!!

What better way to spend an afternoon than in the company of friends, tea, children, and getting fitted for flapper dresses?!! I've written previously that at the end of April our PFO is sponsoring a fundraiser and the theme is the Roaring 20's. I, of course, brought nothing from the US to wear that even closely resembles a flapper dress and I am also limited with one, single pair of black heels. For those of you who know me well, you realize that there is no way a Chinese shop will carry my size of shoe!! I once walked into one and they looked at my feet and laughed - tai da, tai da (too big, too big)!! But, who knew I would be going to formal events here in China, so I just wasn't prepared! However, I'm always up for getting dressed up and having a few cocktails so the black heels will have to do!!

Anyway, faced with the dilemna of what to wear, my friend Naoko suggested that we use her tailor to make us dresses. We went to the silk market and found fabric a few weeks ago. I bought two different colors, but decided today to use the burgundy (black heels will go with that!) because I thought I would go out on a limb and not wear black for once!! The sweet tailor came over to my house and measured three of us for flapper dresses, and received two hemming orders, a bag order, and a child's dress order. I'm pretty sure she will be busy with our order for the next couple of weeks!!

It was so much fun that I think I may have to do this more often! The whole time we were drinking tea and getting fitted, the kids were having a ball and actually playing quite nicely! What a great way to end a very busy week!!

Tomorrow we are back to Beijing...have a wonderful weekend!!

No comments: