Monday, November 17, 2008

Trouble in Paradise

Yes, we made it to Sanya, China without too many gliches!! We ended up flying out of a different terminal than we usually do, so there was some initial disappointment that we wouldn't be having Burger King (I never thought I would say I'm disappointed about not having BK!!) for lunch, but we got over that quickly! Thank goodness for drivers who know where they are going, we would have had no clue which terminal to go to! We didn't even realize there was more than one terminal!! The four hour flight was actually uneventful - it seemed so quick compared to our 13 hour flights to the US! At the end of the flight, Eens announced to everyone on the plane, "I'm not puking!!!". We were proud parents!
We made it to the hotel and were pleasantly surprised! We are staying at a 5 star (Chinese standards!) Holiday Inn. We got a kids suite so we have 2 bedrooms and 2 baths - it is actually quite spacious. Our balcony and windows overlook the ocean so I have made Danny keep the windows open at night so I can listen to the waves - it is so peaceful! The only thing that is not great are the beds - it is like sleeping on a board! I'm not sure why they even bother paying for a mattress, but what do I know about hard matresses and my health!
This is the view from our balcony! I forget I'm in China!

Yesterday we spent 7 hours on the beach and in the pool! We all had a ball! This is the first time Coop has ever experienced a "beach" vacation - he loves to dig and kick the waves with his big brother! Danny caught three little fish and two crabs (which are all currently living in our room!!) - he was very happy! I got to enjoy a foot massage on the beach - it doesn't get much better than that! She wanted to put the table under a tree, but I was like, move that so I am in direct sunlight! Not a good move - I'm pretty burnt, apparently the spray sunscreen needs to be rubbed in a bit!! We all had a great day and then headed to another hotel for dinner (prices for food here at this hotel are very high, and the food is not that great!). We found a pizza place and ate outside! We realized this morning that this was not a good move because here is where our trouble begins...

Great Kung Fu, Eens!!
Last night I orderd the kids a 4 cheese pizza and Danny and I got my new favorite the Hawaiian. I thought that the cheese pizza was a little stinky, and Coop was even like, "Someting stinky". I let the kids eat it, they ate the whole thing and I didn't think anything about it, until 5:00am. Coop was the first one up vomitting every 20 minutes or so. Then El came into our room saying her stomach hurt. We didn't believe her until 1 hour later when she was having her moment. Eens seemed fine, so Danny and I thought maybe he just had a tough stomach...not so fast, right before breakfast he threw up! I couldn't believe they were all sick! We decided that Danny and I needed to eat and we had already paid for our breakfast, so we drag the sick children downstairs. Bad idea, El walks in and takes one whiff of the food and she ALMOST makes it to the bathroom! I gulped down a cup of coffee with Coop asleep on my lap and then we decided to get some fresh air. We took the kids to the beach to lay on chairs and listen to the water - Eens perked up immediately and so did Coop! They played and one would never know they were sick. El stayed on the chair all curled up - she was so cute! After the beach we came upstairs for a little rest and watched movies. Everyone appeared to be doing better and Eens and Coop wanted to go down the little waterslides at the pool so we played in the pool for a bit! Danny had to get ready for a dinner so I took the kids to the playroom (most of the hotels in China have the greatest playrooms - ball pits, riding cars, art activities, basketball hoops, lots of toys...). Eens started to look green so I was on my way to the bathroom, but didn't quite make it. Poor Eens ate the most and I think got the worst of it. They are sleeping prettily right now - I hope they all wake up feeling great!

I cannot believe our luck, the first bout with food illness while living in China had to happen on our mini vacation! Oh well, I'm just enjoying being with my family(in sickness and in health!!) and the warm sunshine!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Well at least you are at a beach with all the puking!!!Everything is better at a beach!