Thursday, November 20, 2008

Last day on the beach!

We spent our final day on the beach taking a long walk down past the other hotels! Along the way Danny caught crabs and scared the boys to crying, Ellie found "sand rocks" as she called them, and Eens whined for water (I think they were still a little dehydrated from being sick!)! It was so fun to walk along the beach and observe the Chinese people enjoying a vacation! Danny and I talked about it, and we don't think the Chinese really vacation like we do. My idea of a vacation is to go somewhere do a little sightseeing, relax, and eat yummy food that I don't have to cook!! It seemed to me that the Chinese vacationers had no idea what to do on the beach. They did not have sand toys for the kids, they could not sit still for more than 1 minute, instead they took lots of pictures and walked up and down the beach. Some did swim in the ocean, even when the red flags were out because the surf was rough. I think they were having a good time, but it was interesting to me to see how different we must perceive vacations. I plan on having a chat with my Chinese teacher today about it to see if my observations are correct! Also, Sanya must cater to many Russians. Most menus were written in Chinese, English, and Russian. Jeannie - have you ever heard of Russians vacationing in China?? Danny thought it may not be a terrible flight from St. Petersburg, but I'm sure it is a long flight from Moscow...here is a picture of a massage stand on the beach with both Chinese and Russian!! This is just for you Jeannie...I know you are probably in need of your Russian fix!!

I had to post this picture because it is no wonder things here go bad and break so quickly. Apparently they have never heard of a dock, instead they just drive these boats directly onto the sand!! Once again, very interesting!!

We were happy to arrive back in Tianjin to the comfort of our own beds and ayi's cooking! Now we have to be cold for a few weeks until we head to Hong Kong for our Chrsitmas vacation!!

1 comment:

The Finney Family said...

Hey St. Martin's! I'm in Shenzhen right now and am coming up to Tianjin Sunday night (11/23) & will stay until Tuesday morning. Not sure how much time I'll have, but would love to see you guys if possible! Email me! benjaminfinney@yahoo.com

Ben