Monday, November 3, 2008

The Boys First Haircuts Here

I knew the day would come when I would have to deal with haircuts while we are living in China! I made it almost 4 months and finally gave in to trusting someone with the boys hair. I found a place called MelonHeads in a magazine for Beijing. Since we were going to Beijing to meet up with Danny's parents, I decided that we would also get haircuts. I did pull the kids out of school on Friday so I needed to make our trip worth our while before their plane arrived!

First we checked into our hotel and then jumped in a cab with my magazine in hand ready to find the place! It ended up not being too far away from our hotel - nice short cab ride. After asking a couple people, I was lead in the general direction of our target location. I've found that the more confident I am when I am alone with the kids here, the better behaved they are! They know I can't speak the language, but they also know that they can trust me and I will get them where we need to be!

We found the haircut place on the 7th floor of the "mall". It was very cute and reminded me of Cookie Cutters in Bettendorf! Eens was thrilled that there was a huge pirate ship in the middle with slides that he could play on! I was thrilled because right when they saw us coming they called in their hairdresser who could speak English!! The boys were fascinated by their new surroundings, so they sat nicely and got their haircut! El just played around with everything they had to offer! After we were done, Eric (the English speaker) gave me his card with his personal cell phone number on it. He was so sweet, he told me if I ever needed any help in Beijing that I could call him and he could translate for me!! This happens quite often and it is a win-win situation! I get the help I need and the other person gets to practice speaking English!!

Here are some pictures of our haircutting adventure...


Since the kids did such a great job getting haircuts, I decided they could play in the indoor play area that was on the same floor. This place was extremely clean and there were not very many children there. It was pretty expensive for China standards, but more and more parents are able to afford these luxuries since they have more wealth and also, they typically only have one child. The kids had a great time running around and playing - I enjoyed watching their faces light up!!



No comments: