Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy Halloween!!!

Halloween is not really a holiday celebrated here in China, although it is gaining in popularity. A couple of department stores even dressed up their windows downtown! Since Halloween is one of my children's favorite holidays, I tried my best to make it fun and to do some of the activities we would do in the states!


First, we decorated the house with our Halloween decorations. Eens was bummed out that his pirate ship couldn't be plugged in because it was the wrong voltage! We have also been reading Halloween and fall books over the past month! Coop has memorized his favorite book, Ghost Eats it All! And of course, we had to decorate pumpkins. Thankfully, I brought their decorations for pumpkins from the US so it made for an easy after school activity!


We knew we would be in Beijing for trick or treating, so last weekend I had inquired whether our hotel/serviced apartments where we were staying would have an activity. And, yes, in fact, they had trick or treating and a party! The kids were very excited to trick or treat (plus Nai Nai and Pepere were there) and get dressed up! I told the front desk we would be trick or treating, but we would not be handing out candy. We met in the lobby area to begin trick or treating at the businesses and then up to some of the apartments. All was going well, until we get to the 15th floor. They kept saying the room number 1513 and I thought it sounded familiar, but didn't realize until it was too late that that was our room number!! There were about 25 kids pounding on our door waiting for someone to open up and give them candy. I just looked down at the floor and pretended I had no idea what was going on! It probably wouldn't have been that big of deal, but we were all going around together and trick or treating with 25 people in 2 elevators on about 10 different floors is just not that easy!! Another memory for me to giggle about!!! After the misunderstanding, we skipped out on the party - the kids were tired and I was extremely embarassed!











You may be asking yourself what type of goodies my children received...here is a glimpse into one of the bags!!

No comments: