Monday, September 22, 2008

A Trip to the SOS

I finally gave in to my dear husband and went to the SOS this afternoon for a nasty sinus infection I have been battling for about 5 days now. I made an appointment for Cooper also because he has a cough and a low grade fever. Ellie and Ethan begged to go with us, so I gave them the warning that they better behave. The first five minutes went great and then it all went downhill. Eens started hitting El with his snuggle blanket and El hit Eens with a book (this is all when the doctor is explaining the 5 medications he is putting me on and the 2 he is giving Coop!), so I gave them the best mom glare I could muster in my sick state and sat them on chairs. They pushed and shoved each other the rest of time we were in the room. As we are leaving, they both couldn't wait to get a piece of candy from the jar - I stopped them short and explained that the kind of behavior they displayed did not deserve candy. I cannot believe my 6 and 4 year old can still react so crazy when they are told they don't get something. Ellie is drama crying and Eens is yelling how terrible I am (yes, me the mother who is trying to use consistent discipline!). I finally, a little forcefully, sit them on stools in the playroom while I get our prescriptions filled. The entire time Coop is totally unaware that this madness is going on because he is enjoying his candy!!

I did get an antibiotic for my sinuses, plus 4 other medications that I'm not sure I'll use!! Coop got an antibiotic also because his throat is so swollen it is causing him to gag on food and he was prescribed a little cough medicine for bedtime! I hope it makes him a little drowsy because that would sure help with the jet lag that will set in come Thursday! The doctor has also recommended that we have Coop's tonsils removed when he turns 3. Danny and I both think we will try and have that done over the summer in the states instead of here. From what I understand, the surgery is not that bad, but the recovery is pretty difficult, especially when they are young. We were hoping to wait until he was at least 4, but we're not sure that is a good idea!

That was basically the excitement in my day. I did also squeeze in a mani and pedi in the afternoon - my nails have to look good for the wedding! Now I am off to dreamland!!

T we can't wait to hear the news!!! Good luck today and I am so excited to be an aunt for the 4th time!!

One more update...I talked to the doctor today about the whole milk issue here since my children were drinking milk up until Friday when they found melamine in liquid milk. He reassured me that this chemical metabolizes very quickly and that they would show signs typically within 48 hours of kidney problems. He also gave me two brands that are safe to drink. Danny was very upset today when he found out that his favorite candy, White Rabbits, has tested positive for traces of melamine. I guess this is life in China!!

The bags are almost packed and we plan on leaving our house at 10:00 am Wednesday morning to drive to Beijing to catch our flight to Chicago! Yippee - I just hope I feel better!! Now I am really off to dreamland!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! You know, my girls act the same way when we go somewhere, despite them knowing that they can't get away with murder. I don't know why they insist on acting up, whining, crying, etc!

Laura said...

I can talk to you a lot about tonsils!! Andy had his out when he was 4 and it was the best thing we ever did for him. He had been on some sort of medicine for about 2 1/2 months straight before they were removed because he couldn't shake strep throat. He was a different kid after they were removed. The only bad thing was that his appetite changed and still to this day (he is 9) he is a very, very picky eater. He ate everything before the tonsils. I wish we had removed them when he was 3 and they recommend getting them removed! Talk to you Sat!!!
Laura