Saturday, September 20, 2008

It Really is a Different World

Most of you by now have heard of the milk scandal that has broken out over this past week here in China. We, actually, I should say the kids, have stopped drinking milk even though we think the brand they drink might be okay! We try to buy the fresh milk at the store that is only good for a week, like home. A lot of the milk here lasts for months - I won't go near it, but the kids have had it on occassion and seem to like it! It is no wonder that we are willing to pay double the price for imported food here - it is hard to trust things that are made in China, especially after this past year. I just hope the government can straighten this mess up before we return back from our trip to the US - Eens is so sad not to have his morning milk!

This past week I was in a taxi and was watching out the window as I always do, and noticed some window washers on a 16 story (yes, I counted) building. I went to get my camera, but didn't have it with me. These 3 window washers were dangling from single ropes to clean the windows. I am always in awe of how differently things are done here. It seems dangerous to me, but to most people here, they do not know any different. This is just the way it is done!

The day I watched the window washers, I was on my way to tour an orphanage. Don't get any ideas here, 3 children is plenty for me, but in order to volunteer at the orphanage, you have to go on a tour. I wasn't sure what to expect when I arrived. The orphanage is located down an alley, but the cab driver had no trouble finding it. We met with our "tour guide" and she explained how the ICCO organization is able to raise about $100,000 US dollars a year to provide for this particular orphanage. The money goes towards equipment, doctors, and ayis. I was pleasantly surprised to see the bright, very clean (for China standards!), orange buildings that are home to 100's of disabled babies and children. This particular orphanage is where the babies that are left (in the middle of the night, mom walks out before the birth certificate is issued so this "disabled" child is not her one and only) at hospitals come. The children here range in age from 2 days to 14 years old. If they are still here at 14, they are transferred to an adult home where conditions, according to our guide, are very poor. The Chinese government is starting to dabble in the foster care system which is saving many of these children and also gives families that are only allowed 1 child the opportunity to have more for a period of time. There are many disabilities that these children have, but the moment you see them, your heart melts. I just wanted to scoop them up and cuddle each and every one. I only got tears in my eyes a couple of times, once when I saw a baby on oxygen that reminded me of Coop when he was a baby and then again when a little 1 year old that could only see through squinted eyes wouldn't let go of our guide. I just can't imagine leaving my baby alone in a hospital...again, things are done differently here and the one child policy has had a huge impact on these children who are born "different".

Aside from food scandals, watching people doing dangerous and tedious work by hand, and worrying about little babies, we continue to enjoy and embrace our surroundings! Today we went back to Ancient Culture Street to pick up a few last minute things to bring home. The kids insisted on masks again (as you can see below) and Ellie finally got a Chinese dress! Danny is into dragons right now so he bought a bottle with inside art (they paint inside using a tiny brush - it is very impressive!). I bought some pictures for the playroom! It was fun and we all took a nap after the power shopping!!



We have also been staying "fit" with the new Wii Fit that Danny brought home from the US! Ellie's friends come over daily to play and even Coop gets in on the action! His favorite is the skiing! I guess this is better than sitting and watching tv after school!! Below is Danny very seriously coaching Cooper on his skiing moves!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and are able to enjoy family and friends! Also, if you could please pray for my sister "T" who will be having her third baby any day now and also for my dear friend Megan, her daughter was diagnosed with SMA a few months ago and tonight is a benefit to raise money to help cover medical equipment for Madi!! Thanks so much!

Countdown until we land in the states...4 days and about 6 hours (is that better Jeannie?!!).

1 comment:

Nai-Nai said...

I have always wondered about the orphans in China and I am glad that you had a chance to visit. Like you, it would have touched my heart. We are so fortunate to have healthy babies and we both went through harrowing times. Miss Ellie looks SO lovely in her Chinese dress!!!!!!!!!!! She is ready to be little Miss China. Can't wait to see you all! Love to all!