Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What are we eating these days!

I thought I should include a blog about what we have been putting in our tummies lately! Of course, if we had a choice, we would probably eat a lot more western food than we do. I am getting better, but I still have difficulty finding some of the ingredients I need. This week, there was no sour cream anywhere to be found, so we sadly did without! I have a grocery trip planned to Beijing this Friday, so I am looking forward to filling the fridge!!

The Chinese food that the locals eat is nothing like what we think of as Chinese in America. We are considered part of northern China and the most popular food item is jaozi, or stuffed dumplings. Last year I think I ate enough jaozi for a lifetime, so I'm taking a break! I now have my ayi cook two or three times a week and the rest of the week I am in charge in the kitchen!
Unless of course we go out to eat or have food delivered (which does happen at least 2 times a week!!), which is what we did Sunday when I captured pictures!! We were at one of our favorite restaurants, Din Tai Fung, and I decided it was time to show you all what I eat. For those of you who have known me for a long time, you probably will be shocked!! Trust me though, the food is really tasty and we all enjoy it!

These are the small pork filled jaozi that Eens loves, but also needs a break from!!
Pretty basic, but yummy, pork fried rice.
These are noodles in a sesame sauce. They are a little spicy, but Danny and I really enjoy them!! I watched the waiter cut them for us this time and was shocked that he used his chopsticks. I always thought they had some hidden knives somewhere for cutting the noodles!
These are my new favorites. They are jaozi, but they are filled with veggies...spinach, mushroom, and garlic - they are delicious when drowned in the "potion" (vinegar and soy)!
This is the vegetable we always order. We have no idea what it is, but we've been eating it for 18 months and we continue to enjoy it!!
I crave this soup on a cold winter's day - it is their version of hot and sour soup. I'm not sure I can eat hot and sour soup in the US now and not wish that I was eating this one...it is the best I have ever had. (Michele...Panda House could compete though - it's just been so long!!!)
These may looks scary, but they are mushrooms that have been soaked in something and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Not something I would have chosen if my friend hadn't encouraged me, but now we order them every time!!

We ordered all of this food, plus sodas on Sunday and the bill was less than $30.

Hope you're not too hungry...and I really hope my mom did not just eat before reading this!!!

No comments: