Sunday, January 24, 2010

It was a "China" week!!

It's been a week since I blogged and I have no real excuse, besides it's been a "China" week. I have Tianjin days, but this has been the first entire week that I have found it difficult to stay positive. It probably doesn't all have to do with China, but a big majority of my woes, I blame on China!!

The first problem I have been dealing with is a nasty sinus infection. Our weather, thankfully changed for the better, but it left me wanting to crawl under the covers and not get up for many hours. This year I have suffered from pretty bad sinuses and I'm not sure if it is the pollution, the weather, or just me. As the week went on, I was thrilled to see the blue sky for several days in a row - that did lift my spirits a little!! I also got in a couple of runs outside, which helped to clear up the sinuses, while at the same time giving the locals a good laugh. Why in the world is it so funny to exercise outside????

The second problem was the time zone!! When I really needed to talk to someone in the US, I couldn't do it because they were either sleeping or working. I just couldn't get my timing right, so I didn't get to talk to my mom (not everyday anyway!), my siblings, or my friends and I know they would have brightened my mood!! Many people may think that I don't miss my family and friends like I did when we first arrived. It is true, I miss them in a different way. Having been forced to step back, I see very clearly how wonderful these people are and at this moment, I may even miss them more if that is possible!

The third problem is the silly lunar calendar! You see, last year at this time we were sitting on a beach escaping the worst part of a northern China winter! Due to the lunar calendar, Chinese New Year falls in the middle of February this year. It has really been the wrong year for that to happen because we have experienced the coldest winter in 58 years here! Brrrr!!

I do tease a little that my week was all a complete downer - of course, that is not true!! I have wonderful friends here who know just what to do to make me laugh and smile. Some of them I feel like I have known my whole life - we just "get each other"!! So instead of ending on a sour note, I end knowing that I am blessed with my fabulous husband, wonderful children, fantastic family, and beautiful friendships!!

No comments: