Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Great 5,000 Step Run!!

It was exhilerating, amazing, and darn right scary running on the Great Wall!! This was our first time seeing any part of the Great Wall, so when we first caught sight of it, we were completely enthralled. To think, hundreds of years ago this wall was built to keep out the Mongols - a little crazy, maybe, but definitely fascinating!! Then we began to look closer at the image that was before our eyes and reality set in that we actually had to run on the thing!! I guess, I just thought the Wall would be like the pictures we saw - pretty flat, built up on both sides so that we were protected. Um, not quite...there were parts of the wall that were exactly as I envisioned them and then there were the parts that were completely narrow with only one side of the wall and a rope to hold on to, not quite my cup of tea! You see, I'm terrified of heights, so despite the amazing views, I spent most of the run hanging onto ropes for dear life!
We're still having fun...
If only I knew what was up and over those steps!!

This is where fear gripped me!! It's really just a cliff!!Some of the amazing views that I didn't see until I downloaded the pics! Thanks Danny for being the photog!!!

This is just me hanging on with both hands...I'm thinking I'm almost done...hehe!!But look, there's more uphill running, therefore, I realize I will have to come down again!!This was our final decent...I'm not sure I have ever been so happy to complete something since giving birth!!Many of you are probably thinking we ran a marathon, the way I am going on and on. No, we only ran a 5K which took us almost an hour to complete!! Would I do it again? No, probably not, but I am happy that I did it once and got to experience the Great Wall while also doing a bit of one of my favorite activities, running!!

1 comment:

Nai-Nai said...

Thank goodness, you and Daniel survived! Gad, I told you it would be hard and straight up but it looks much more dangerous than I had originally thought. (I was gasping as I looked at the photos!) At least both of you were smiling at the end. What an accomplishment and I hope you got a shirt or trophy commenorating the historic event! What stories and memories you both have! Love you all!