Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Full Speed Ahead!

School has been in session for 3 weeks now and we are busier than ever!! I have a hard time keeping up with the kids activities, but I am so happy that they are involved!

El has chosen to take part in homework club and choir at school. She also is taking piano and having a Chinese lesson at home. She is most excited that in November she will get to take horseback riding lessons after school. The school just started offering it, but there were too many students for this session, so she will start next session!

Eens is in pet club (he is one of just a few boys, but he loves it so much!) and Chinese club at school. I was a bit shocked when he chose Chinese club, but I found out why from his dear friend Soph! Apparently he has shared with her that he is really only trying to figure out how to ask ayi for candy in Chinese. After he has learned that, he plans on quitting - what a little schemer!! He is also starting piano this year at home. Our teacher will start him out with just 15 minute sessions and gradually increase the time as he progresses! He also takes Chinese at home after Ellie. And, starting Saturday, he will begin playing soccer again. He is one busy boy, but all the activity is great for him!

Coopie loves me and wants to spend all of his time away from school with mommy and talk about roller coasters and water slides!! I love the hugs and the games he plays. I don't always care for the constant, "mommy, mommy, mommy", but he's getting bigger and bigger, so I try and enjoy every minute that he actually wants to play with me!! He just asked me tonight, "Next time you cook, can you teach me?" Maybe I have a future chef on my hands, although I'm not sure where he would work considering my specialty is grilled cheese and tomato soup out of a can!!

Danny is working quite a bit and will spend most of this month traveling. We have been so blessed because he has traveled very little during this assignment, unfortunately I think that is over now!! I am so thankful for all of the wonderful friends I have that constantly call and check on me or invite me over when he is gone. It could be much worse, so I am not going to complain!!

I have been trying to stay "checked in" to living in China. I knew I would be like this because I have very few patient bones in my body. As much as I want to enjoy every minute of this year, I find myself constantly wondering what is going to happen next?! I have an obsession with realtor.com even though it is not even realistic to look at this point. I'm trying to allow myself to only look on Sunday (it can be my guilty pleasure instead of the big Sunday paper!)! I also have not been constantly on the go this year like I was last year. I'm realizing that as you get close to the end of your assignment your priorities change. I find myself wanting to spend time with my closest friends all the time, when I know I should branch out just a little, but it's hard! I'm sure there are some wonderful new families here and I haven't had the opportunity to meet them. I'm going to try harder! I am involved with the PFO this year and I am thrilled to be giving back to the school. Our committee is full of some amazing women and I do look forward to getting to know them better! Unfortunately I do not think I will be able to substitute teach at the school. China or possibly Tianjin (not sure which) is now requiring that everyone working at the school must have a work permit. This is quite a process and I would no longer be under Danny's work permit. This is probably not a great big deal, but it could be if there ever needed to be an evacuation or something like that. I think it is best to keep the whole family on the same visa and I also don't want to deal with the taxes in the US. I'm hoping I can volunteer at the school in place of this! I know I will be back to my old self once I get my head out of the clouds!!

1 comment:

J. said...

Kim, Dan, Coop and the entire St. Martin family!

Holy cow, can't believe I was still able to remember your blog! It's Jessica (former nursing student) in the NICU! Even four years later, I continue to think of you guys often. For once though, it's while I was at my computer so I could actually get to your blog! All I can say is "wow." I can't believe how big Coop is now! It's so wonderful to hear how well he is doing. Who would ever believe he was once such a sick little boy? I couldn't be happier for you all! I will continue to try and stay updated on your family's journey. Would love to hear from you someday! hess.phillips@gmail.com. Take care!

-Jessica