Wednesday, August 18, 2010

First Day of School!

I cannot believe that my sweet little ones are now in 3rd, 1st, and pre-kindergarten - honestly, where has the time gone? Last Wednesday we all got up early (thankfully our jet lag cooperates and we are up as the sun rises!) and headed off to the first day of school. This year the school chose to wait until the first day to announce teachers and classes. Ellie and Eensie were both very excited about their new teachers. For the first time one of Ellie's best friends is actually in her class - I know she is going to have a great year!! Eens is surrounded by his best pals and has a teacher with loads of experience and a very sweet disposition!! There is no doubt that he is going to love first grade!!

Coop had an interesting first day with a few tears from mommy! I had been to the school the day before to help PFO for a new parent orientation. I found out at that time that Cooper had been put in a class without any of his really good friends. I was upset, but kept telling myself that I should trust the school's decision. However, after talking to Danny, my friends, and my mom, I decided that I may need to go into the principal depending on how many English speakers were in his class. When we arrived in the classroom and I saw the roster, I knew I would have to insist that he switch classes. Although we do not know how much his hearing loss will affect him in school, we don't want to take any chances and the class he was in only had one other English speaker. The teacher, who is new and seemed very nice, had a very heavy accent which also concerned me. Off I went to the principal's to get things sorted. Thankfully she completely agreed with my concerns and put him in the other class within the first hour of school. He was so happy when he joined Lucy and Isaiah - I knew right then and there that I did the best thing for him! He is going to be completely ready for kindergarten in the fall!

No comments: