Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy Two Year Anniversary to Us!!

I find it very hard to believe that we have finished our second year living in China. As of July 1st, we have finished two years of our contract - time has flown, and so much has changed over the past two years. Some of these changes have been positive and others not as positive. Danny and I have both had our moments of wondering why in the world we agreed to move to the other side of the world. On the other hand, we have both had similar moments of wondering how we can go back to our “normal” life in the US! We will go back at some point during this next year and we will be different people than when we left, but we will figure out how we can fit in again and like before, we will find our new “normal”!


I continue to have a love/hate relationship with China. This year I have found it more difficult to stay positive some days. I’m sure that is because everything is not as new and exciting. The thought of going to E-Mart now makes me cranky instead of excited to find new products. I have started shopping primarily at import stores and the local fruit and veggie markets!! But on a positive note, I have found places to buy kids clothes and a few things for Danny and I that actually fit!! I still can’t find my size of shoes, but that is just a good excuse to go shoe shopping in the US!!


We continue to be grateful for the travel opportunities we have in Asia! I hope the kids remember all of the beautiful places we have been to and the amazing cultures we have experienced! Danny and I have so many wonderful memories etched in our minds of the time we have spent exploring!! We are really looking forward to making the most of next year. There are still many places I would like to see in China and Asia! In fact, I just booked a trip to Bali for October - we can’t wait!!


I think one of the best things about living in China is the opportunity our children have. I was just talking to one of my bestest friends in the states and we were discussing class sizes in the schools. Our children are so spoiled to have such low teacher/student ratios. If you include the full time teaching assistants, Eens has a 6:1 student/teacher ratio. I’m sure that has had a huge influence on the progress he has made this year!


As I’m typing this, Ellie has just asked if we can stay an extra year in China (apparently she is very happy!!)! That makes me extremely happy, not that we are going to stay, but that she is content! As a mom, I constantly question the parenting decisions Danny and I make! To see the kids’ smiling faces, reinforces that living in a foreign country agrees with them!!


I also think that this move has been very healthy for Danny and I. When we decided we were going to do this, we knew we both had to be on the same page. The move wasn’t just about Danny’s job, we had to figure out a way to make it positive for all of us! We have tried our best to learn from all that is thrown our way. Danny’s “work” life is much different here. He amazes me with how easily he has adapted to the business culture, he doesn’t always like it or agree with it, but he has learned to be effective regardless! I am so proud of him - I probably don’t tell him this enough! For me, I now have a greater appreciation for this great big world! I have friends from almost all continents and they teach me so much on a daily basis! All along I thought that I would be the one to get the least out of this experience, but this was completely wrong! I am one very lucky tai tai!!


I find this time of year very bittersweet. I am very sad to have had to say good-bye to dear friends who will not return in the fall. I am also sad to have left my dear husband for 5 weeks, our very good friends for the summer, our Mei Mei, our home, and our routine. Living out of a suitcase for 7 weeks is not easy! But, I love being with our family and friends who so graciously welcome us into their hearts and homes! I love being in America and enjoying all of the conveniences that are offered. I also love jumping in a car and setting off on errands!! We have so much to be thankful for over the past two years and I hope next year is the best yet!!

No comments: