Friday, August 21, 2009

It's Coop's Turn to be a Big Boy!

On Tuesday Coopie started his full day schooling adventure. This year he will be in the full day nursery class at the same school as El and Eens. He was anxious to start school because he really wants to be a big boy, but he also really wants his mommy! I'm not complaining that he stills wants me, he is my "baby", but I also know that after last year there are not enough social opportunities for him if he is not in school. Last year we tried Gymboree classes and they did give us something to do together, but since we were unable to communicate with anyone, we both grew a little bored. Also, because Coop obviously stood out in his classes, his teachers refused to discipline him or encourage him to try new things. They seemed to be in awe of the "laowi" (foreigner) in the classroom and they did not want to disrupt his spirit! Now he is in an international setting and therefore given no special treatment (unless you count Miss Joely and Miss Kerri - Eensie's teachers from last year - loving on him for me!!)! After his first week I can see that he thrives with the routine, he loves when he gets to "help" his teachers, he has already made friends that he talks about, and he is probably going to gain some serious weight because he eats everything that I pack for snack and lunch!! I miss him terribly during the day, and yes, if we were in the US I would be completely satisfied with two day morning preschool, but here, I think it is best that he is with his peers and not at home bossing around our ayi. An added bonus is that my friend Karen's youngest is in the same class, so we can shed tears about missing our little ones over cups of coffee!!"I'm so happy I have my friend in class with me!!"
"It's a roller coaster mommy!" "Mission accomplished...thanks for the help mommies!"

No comments: