Monday, January 12, 2009

That's the way they do it!

In a previous post, I wrote about how I thought that the air pollution and the smoking would be the two things that would be most irritating to me while here in China! I've changed my mind after being here about six months...the two things that I find a bit difficult to digest are the driving (it has driven Eens to carsickness) and the toilets and bathrooms! Let me explain!!


The other day, I was with my ayi and driver on our way to the post office to pick up a package from my mom! The two of them got into a little tiff, while we were sitting in the middle of the road, about the best place to park, because neither of them think it is proper for me to walk more than two steps out of the car! In the meantime, I'm watching this car come directly at my side of the car at full speed. In the end, both cars honk at each other, pretending that they each had the right away and drive on as if nothing happened - I'm sitting in the back thinking I almost got crushed and no one really cared. Driving in China is dangerous, but what can we do.


There are also no seatbelt or carseat laws in China. We always use the carseats (unless on our way to Sunday lunch with Jen and Kevin) in our car, but when we are in the taxi, the kids have learned to sit without even seatbelts on. Of course now, the kids would much rather ride in a taxi than our car because they don't have to wear seatbelts!!! I love the US rules of the road!!! One year ago, I never would have allowed this...
Yes, there are 10 people in a minivan fit for 7!! Life in China....


My next complaint are the bathrooms and hygiene practices that are in place here. The bathrooms, you all know, usually contain a squat potty. You stand, there is no sitting and do your thing. Ellie and I continue to avoid public restrooms. The boys love the squat pottys and Coop gets mad when there is a regular potty. I have decided that this is one reason why God thought I should have the two boys - life is much easier in China with two boys going to the potty!!!

The next part about bathroom etiquette is a bit gross, so if you have a weak tummy, you may want to quit reading now!!

Most public toilets are unable to accept paper down the drain, due to the plumbing apparently, so the Chinese simply wipe and throw away the toilet paper in an open garbage can in the stall. It is really too much for me to handle - the smell, the sight, too much. So the other day, I was getting on Cooper about wiping his tushy when he went to the bathroom and he kept telling me he did wipe. I didn't see any toilet paper in the potty, instead, I found it in the garbage can beside the potty. He's apparently becoming a local!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim....I can't believe you all in the minivan! I think I would definitely have a hard time with the driving and potties too. Actually, I would most definitely have a problem with the toilet/public bathroom issue.