Monday, March 8, 2010

Up high and freaking out!

On one of our beautiful days in Hong Kong, I got the great idea to take a cable car up into the mountains to see the Tian Tan Buddha Statue in Ngong Ping Village. We were at Disney and the weather was perfect - the sky was clear and there was no wind. I knew we had another day in Disney and I knew the weather wasn't guaranteed to be perfect again, so I convinced everyone that this was a good idea and off we went! Straight away I knew we may run into some issues. When we got to the ticket window the woman told us that the walk up to the Buddha closed at 5:30 - it was 4:30 at the time. I looked at her strangely because I thought the whole ride would only take about 15 minutes, not 45! But, we were there and we thought that we would at least see the Buddha (it was giant right?!!).

We first saw this sign as we were entering the cable car - we all kind of laughed it off - it was a beautiful day!
Here we are at the beginning of the journey - giddy with excitement.
And as the cable car climbed up the mountain, the wind began, the clouds came, and I began to freak out.
As you can see, we couldn't even see out the cable car because we were stuck in a cloud! It was so windy and freezing cold - what was I thinking?!! Then when we were about halfway up, the entire apparatus stopped and we watched as men in winter gear were running around yelling trying to fix something. Not exactly what I was hoping to see! I looked at Danny and told him that maybe this is what Everest is like (remember I was in complete panic mode!!)!
We did finally make it to the top and this was as close as we could get to the Buddha covered in layers of clouds!
We also got the opportunity to see wild oxen all over the place, which possibly made the trip worth it?!! I don't think so, but it was quite entertaining watching the locals try and chase them!

I will just chalk this ride up to another adventure to add to the many we have had while living in China. I can say if you come and visit us and want to ride the cable car in Hong Kong, I am going to have to pass - it was a bit too exciting for me!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ok... i had to laugh at your face. I have had that face A LOT these two years. glad you caught it on camera. :) looks like you had fun!