Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A day in the life of kindy!

Today I was able to spend the day with my dear, sweet, rambunctious Eens! Every morning the children present the "Today Show", which is a very detailed, student run circle time. They each have a certain day of the week and each week they have a different role to play. It is a fantastic way for the children to improve their oral communication skills and it has really given Eens confidence to speak in front of others! I wish my teachers would have done something like this starting in Kindergarten. I used to be so shy speaking in front of others (now, not so much!)!

Today Eens was the host of the show, so I was very excited to get to watch him! The different segments for today were weather and calendar, Mr. Bear, what number am I?, topic talk, and something special. The kids all take it very seriously and each week they are given a score on their performance. It has been very fun to watch Ethan's scores improve as the year goes on. He went from speaking very soft and mumbling the way Eens does, to now lifting his head and speaking loud and clearly!

After the "Today Show" we boarded the bus and went to the Tianjin Planning Museum. We could not bring our cameras in, which is unfortunate because there was a very cool model of the city of Tianjin. It gave me a much better perspective of how big this city of 10 million really is. The kids all seemed to enjoy looking at all the models of city, while getting in trouble every so often for trying to pick up the miniature cars!!

We went to McDonald's for lunch and the kids couldn't have been happier. Especially when they were given money to buy their own ice cream. Yum!!

Next stop was Ancient Culture Street where we could take pictures, but my battery pack died!! It figures because I really wanted to take pictures of all the lanterns that were still up from Lantern Festival and Eens, of course! The kids were given a picture treasure hunt while we were walking down the street. It is always fun to see places through a child's eyes!

1 comment:

Laura said...

When were you ever shy??? I remember you talking all the time and talking very loudly!! Miss and love ya!!