Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Signs of Spring!!

We have officially entered the spring season, although I think it may be short this year. We have pretty much skipped the 60 degree weather and jumped to the 70's and 80's. I'm definitely not complaining, but I wasn't quite ready to bath the kids every day after they come in from outside due to the dust that has accumulated outside! We are experiencing a drought, which does not help our little dust problem!

I've noticed over the past three years that the signs of spring are a bit different here than they are in Bettendorf!!

The first sign of spring is the turning off of heat on March 15. The government has decided that after that point they will not provide heat, even though last year it was still quite cold! We are fortunate and we do not rely solely on the government supplied heat, we have a heating system that we can turn on whenever needed, but most locals are not that fortunate.

The next sign of spring is the removal of the "blankets" (as Karen calls them) from all of the trees and shrubs! I love it when they take down the terrible tarp that covers everything through the winter! This usually coincides with the heat going off!!

Another sign that tells us spring is eminent is the removal of layers of clothing. I always know that it is getting warmer out when my ayi begins to only wear one layer of clothing in the house. This year it has gotten warm rather quickly so I had to tell her to stop wearing so many layers of clothes to work because she kept wanting to turn on the air conditioner very low!!

My favorite sign of spring, which is the exact same as it was in Bettendorf, is the fragrant flowering trees!! I'm sure that my neighbors think I am crazy as I walk around our compound sniffing all of the trees (remember my sense of smell is very strong right now!!)!!

I hope you are all enjoying spring wherever you may be! I like to think of spring as a new beginning...

No comments: