Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Surviving the Subway!!

Finally, after two and a half years, I can finally say that I have been on the underground subway in Beijing!!! I was extremely excited to take Danny's parents into Beijing to explore public transportation (no worries, there was also shopping involved!)! We took the fast train into Beijing, which is so easy to do. We arrived in about 35 minutes due to some random stop on the tracks - we never did get an explanation, but we probably don't want one! We then proceeded to cause mafan (trouble) while I attempted to buy tickets for the subway. I didn't realize that the subway costs 2 RMB (about $.30) regardless of where you go! I now know for next time!
I was shocked at how clean the trains were(this is a subway, but it was much better than some I have been on in the US)! Even the walking areas were fine. We had no trouble finding the trains we wanted thanks to a trusty little Starbucks subway map and the fact that all stops showed both the Chinese characters and the English name. It was brilliant!! As you can tell, I am quite proud of us for navigating the system.

We ended up in Sanlitun just in time to shop before a delicious lunch at one of my favorite Beijing restaurants, Mosto!!
I am very adventurous, but I can only take so much, so later in the afternoon I had my driver pick us up at the Silk Market. I'm pretty sure my in-laws think I am completely crazy for making my driver drive 2 hours to pick us up, but who wants to lug packages on the subway?!

No comments: