Monday, November 22, 2010

She's a Natural!!

Ellie has always loved animals, so it was no surprise when she came bounding home from school in early September telling me they were going to offer horseback riding as an after school activity, and then begging me to sign her up! We tried to get her in the first session, but it filled up straight away. The school put her in session two, so we have patiently waited for the past three months for her to begin her lessons! I think I was almost as excited as she was. When I was growing up, I rode horses with my dad in our pasture whenever he would let me! I never had formal lessons, but I loved being on the horses. Probably one of the reasons I loved it so much was because it was usually just my dad and I (growing up with four siblings, that was a treat!)! Now I am so proud to watch El riding the horse like such a natural! She just has a way with animals and I hope Danny and I can foster that love for her and allow her to continue pursuing this passion!

You must be thinking, "horseback riding in China??". I thought the same thing until I saw the brochure for the stables. El rides both inside and outside in rings. She is led by her own Chinese instructor. A Chinese teaching assistant from the school accompanies them to the stables so she can translate if necessary, but much of what they are learning can be taught by example! They provide leg protection and proper helmets. Ellie is allowed to ride for an hour once a week - she would do much more if I would let her! The cost for the lessons is about the same price as what we would pay in the US. All of the horses have been imported from England and they are beautiful animals!

Here is a short video of El riding, followed by some pictures of her during her lesson!



El is learning to practice her balance with her arms out. She also was working on looking in the direction that she wanted the horse to go! She was able to guide the horse all the way around the inside stable without being led by the instructor!Coop enjoyed watching his big sister on the horse! He kept telling me he wanted to ride also, of course this does not surprise me, but he's going to have to wait a few years!! I kept his mind off of getting in the ring by visiting with the camels and ostriches!

No comments: