Friday, February 12, 2010

Raising a bilingual pup!!

I'm beginning to wonder if Mei mei is bilingual. It is quite entertaining watching her listen to ayi speaking Chinese and then to me speaking English. Now of course, she only knows a few phrases, such as go home (hui jia), eat (cher fan), and outside (waimian), but I think she is pretty bright!! Danny says I am losing my mind, and that may be the case, but if my children are not going to go back to the US speaking Chinese, at least our dog will understand it!!

Raising a puppy in China certainly has other advantages besides just her ability to understand two languages! We have our ayi here all day and she adores Mei mei. She helps me when I am out, so Mei mei always gets a nice long walk in the afternoon. She will also keep Mei mei for us when we go away for the weekends, except for our upcoming trip because I feel more comfortable with her being in a kennel with a veterinarian. Another added bonus is that the gardeners pick up the doo doo for you. Of course, they only do this if she goes on the concrete, but that is a given because there is very little grass for her to go on.

We love having a puppy here with us. I thought I could last until we get back to the US and have Jenni back, but I couldn't do it. I am very much looking forward to the day when Jenni and Mei mei will be together, I think they will get along famously!!

No comments: