Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Gong Xi Fa Cai

Happy Chinese New Year a bit delayed, but here in China, it is still going strong!! We began celebrating the Spring Festival in Beijing last Saturday before we flew to Thailand. I had only heard stories about the noise levels in Tianjin at the beginning of the festival, so I begged Danny to start our holiday one day early! He agreed and off we went...


We stayed at the Ascott, as usual, and were shocked to find that yes, even the Starbucks was closed when we arrived. It is just like our Christmas, so nearly everything is shut down. I was quite giddy with excitement for the festivities to begin, so we ordered pizza and pasta with our dear friends and then we took the kids downstairs to eat some dumplings (very traditional food for New Year’s eve!). After that we came back to our room and the practice round of fireworks began.


Sophie and Eens were the big jaozi eaters!! The rest of us just let them eat our part!!

Coop watching the fireworks down below!!

As you can see below - I'm not sure how illegal fireworks are in Beijing as they were being sold right beside a police station!!

Although I only slept a few hours that night, I was so happy to witness the beginning of the lunar year here in China. It is a wonderful tradition and I can’t wait to continue celebrating even when we are back in the states!! I just have to learn how to make dumplings now!!!

No comments: