Sunday, February 7, 2010

Maybe some more lessons wouldn't hurt!

On Friday I decided to take the kids to Beijing to meet Danny after the company Chinese New Year party! He was going to have to spend the night up there, and I figured I could get the boys hair cut, have a nice dinner, enjoy a foot massage, and then we could do our puppy search the next morning!

My woes with Mandarin started on Thursday when I was trying to tell my driver which hotel we were staying at. I like to give him at least a days notice so he can find out where he is going. Karen was in the car when I was having this conversation and since we always stay at the same hotel, she told him the name of it in Chinese and he seemed quite pleased and appeared to understand. On Friday we got into Beijing and my driver started saying that we were close to Avic and I just assumed that was the name of the hotel in Chinese, so I was nodding away. About 10 minutes later we pull up in front of some Chinese hotel - I couldn't stop laughing. I had to get out of the car with my driver and point up at the correct hotel's sign, which wasn't really too far away! Apparently Avic is the name of an actual Chinese hotel!!

We checked into our room and then headed out straight away to get the hair cuts. Eensie went first with the same guy that we always go to. He doesn't speak English, but he has always done an okay job! I told him to cut off just a little (later found out from Danny I said the wrong word in Chinese)! I literally turned my head away for 1 minute to check on El and Coop and the next thing I know, Eens has no hair. He is all spiky on top. He is very happy, but mommy and daddy need a little time to get used to it!!

After the haircuts and a bit of shopping, we were off to find a taxi to go and eat. We waited over 20 minutes outside for a taxi and then finally one pulled over. (For some reason, taxi drivers in Beijing do not like foreigners and they really don't like a foreigner with three children who may dirty up the white(grey!) seats in the car!) I begged the driver to drive us to the hotel. He finally agreed and off we went. He knew I could speak a little bit of Chinese, so the questions started coming. I was very proud of myself until we were getting out of the car. At this point, apparently I had told him that my husband built big, green BMW cars. What I had really tried to say was that my husband was working for John Deere, who builds big, green tractors, and their Beijing office is in the BMW building. After this he gave me his daughter's name and number and asked if my husband could get her a job!!

I should have given up entirely speaking Chinese for the night, but no, I kept going with the lady doing my foot massage. We somehow muddled through an hour of half communicating and half giggling. Towards the end of the massage she told me I have beautiful feet - at this point I almost fell off the couch. I'm not sure if it was my laughter or if I may have asked her in Chinese, but the next thing I know, she is taking off her shoes and socks and asking me what I think of her feet!!!

Maybe, I should start up those Mandarin lessons!! Then again, it is much more entertaining communicating this way!!

No comments: