Tuesday, February 23, 2010

House Call!

Or really I should say, hotel call!!


On Sunday morning when we woke up to begin our journey to Thailand I noticed that Coop felt a bit warm. He had a bit of a cough, but other than that, he was acting fine and ate great, so I thought we were probably okay. I gave him some Tylenol and we went to the airport. He was fine and actually he did great on the planes, which we were on for a total of 7 hours! We arrived at the hotel late and we all went to bed.


On Monday we played in the pool and at the beach all morning and into the afternoon. Then everyone took a much needed nap and we went off to find a shopping mall. At the mall Coop was very grumpy, but perked up after a bit of Tylenol. He kept itching his ear, but I assumed he had gotten water in it at the pool. Thankfully I was sleeping with Coop that night because in the middle of the night his temperature shot up and wouldn’t come down with Tylenol. I put cool towels on his head for over an hour and he drank a whole bottle of water, but he still had a high temp. Of course, I couldn’t sleep because I was so worried about him, so early in the morning I called the front desk and asked for a nurse. It took awhile, but she finally made it to our room at 9:00. She could tell straight away that Coop was not well and when she took his temp and saw how high it was on Tylenol she immediately called the doctor. The doctor talked to me on the phone and asked me what I thought and I told him I was nervous it could be pneumonia because by this time his cough was very bad and had caused him to throw up. The sweet doctor said not to worry and he would be at the hotel in 1 hour.


Sure enough, at 10:00 he arrived with a nurse in tow. I knew Coop really didn’t feel well because the whole time we were waiting he kept begging for a doctor - not typical for a 3 year old!! After the doctor listened very carefully to him, he ruled out pneumonia because his lungs were perfectly clear (yippee!!), however he said he had bronchitis and then he looked in his ear and found the culprit of the temp - a lovely ear infection. I was one relieved mommy - it is really hard being far away from home with a sick child. We were extremely grateful for the doctor and the nurse that helped treat Coop! The whole bill, including doctor, car, nurse, and 4 different meds cost less than $150 - quite cheap for a “hotel” call!! But the most important thing was that within 24 hours Coop was back to his mischievous self!!

No comments: