Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Unpacking the "stuff"

I went up to Beijing yesterday to visit a good friend who is awaiting the arrival of her second baby. I'll explain...her, her husband and three year old live in TEDA, about 40 minutes from Tianjin. Unfortunately, the only "western" hospital close to us is in Beijing. We can be treated and seen 24 hours a day at our SOS clinic here in Tianjin, but for anything major, we must be transferred to Beijing or flown out of the country. From October through January we have many "fog" days and on these days, the highway from Tianjin to Beijing is closed until the fog lifts, making it impossible to get to Beijing. Therefore, the hospital recommends that pregnant women move to Beijing towards the end of their pregnancy. My friend had her first baby early, so she will be living in Beijing for possibly 5 weeks until she gives birth. Thankfully we are all so used to living out of suitcases during our summer home leaves that she should be just fine! However, it is a great reason for me to escape to Beijing for the day!

Yesterday we spent the entire day at the silk market. I have to start early on buying purses to bring home for Christmas...I now get quite a few requests and I personally needed a couple of new ones for the fall. Danny is not real happy with my purse obsession! Yesterday when he opened one of my closets to see how many I have accumulated, they almost all fell on his head!! Anyway, I discovered yesterday how all of the goods get delivered to the market...
It's funny because they try and be so secretive with the unloading, but everyone around knows that they are unloading their fake goods!! Oh well, it is a fun place to visit as long as you go in with the attitude that anything you buy may break or fall apart within a day!!! You also must bring a bit of Tylenol to take from the headache you will inevitably get from all of the bantering!!

No comments: