Friday, October 9, 2009

Pretty much paradise!!

We arrived in Kuantan, Malaysia on Friday to spend 6 days on Cherating Beach. Kuantan is located on the eastern coast of the Malaysian penninsula. It has only been in the last 20 years or so that they have been developing this area. The few resorts that are on the beach are very secluded and pretty much isolated from the city. We chose to stay at a Club Med again because we had such a wonderful experience last January. We love how easy life is for those 6 days! This Club Med was the first one opened in Asia and it was tucked between the jungle and the beach. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been too!!

We stayed in bungalows on stilts, which are very similar to how houses are built in many Malyasian villages. We had two connected rooms that were very spacious, even though they could use a bit of updating. They are a bit old, but I think that just added to the charm and appeal of the resort for me! And, I was very thankful that the beds were not typical hard beds that we usually find in Asian hotels - they were very comfortable!!

We walked through the jungle or rode a short train ride to one of the two beaches on the resort. This beach was where all of the water sports were located and there were fantastic tide pools after 12:00pm for the kids to play in. The water was very gentle and warm. There was very little breeze, so it was extremely hot (not that I'm complaining!!) and we had to constantly cool off in the water!

These are some of the rock formations that lined parts of the beaches.

Monsoon season is just around the corner for this part of Malaysia and on our final day we got a taste of it with some grey skies and pounding waves. I actually woke up that morning and was really upset because I thought we were having a thunderstorm on our last day, but thankfully it was only the waves coming onto shore!! Danny and I spent some time on the beach just watching and listening to the waves...so peaceful!!

We are so grateful for the opportunity to travel to these beautiful places. I refuse to take any of this for granted, so when we left, I had tears in my eyes. Yes, some of the tears were because I was going to miss my drinks by the pool, but the rest were because I was incredibly thankful that I get to experience these moments with my husband and children!!

No comments: