Friday, October 9, 2009

Sharing the land and the sea!

We were located very close to the jungle, so it should not have been a surprise to learn that we would be sharing our space with some very spunky monkeys, but I was still in shock every time one of them showed up for a meal!! Danny and I played tennis every morning and on several occasions our audience consisted of monkeys playing in the trees! They also loved to congregate on the rooftops around the pools which always got a giggle out of the kids, even Eens grew to like them!!
Danny's favorite creatures were the huge lizards. Coop almost "ran" into one (quite literally) the very first day we were there. He let out a deep bellow and then I screamed my head off so much that one of the GO's (people that work at Club Med) thought I was being attacked!! Danny insisted it was a komodo dragon, but was told countless times that it was, in fact, just a very large iguana!!
One day we walked to the turtle sanctuary, which was located just beside our resort. They protect the baby turtles once they are hatched and keep them in a safe environment until they are ready for the sea. Unfortunately, we arrived just after the turtles had laid their eggs on the beach.

Another not so nice species I stumbled upon was the jellyfish. I was stung on the very first day we were there. It hurt like crazy for the first 30 minutes, almost like someone had slice my leg. The bartender at the beach put some vinegar on it (I preferred this to the pee!) and it felt a little better. I am still waiting for the after effects because one of the Aussie's we met said that it would start to itch uncontrollably soon. I'm over a week out and I'm still fine!

Here are a few other species we met along the way!




This crabby wasn't home at the time, but don't worry, Danny caught plenty that were!!

No comments: