Friday, December 5, 2008

Preparing for winter

We have been very fortunate in Tianjin with what I consider very nice "winter" weather. Most days have consisted of temps in the 50's with a lot of sunshine! Yesterday and today we got a glimpse of reality when the temps nose dived into the 20's overnight! It's cold out - it's so cold, I'm considering investing in one of those face mask things they wear here. I believe most people wear them because of the air quality, but I think they could also be used in this frigid cold! Dan may disown me, but at least I would be breathing "clean", warm air!!


The temperatures are supposed to go back into the 50's for most of next week, so I'm a bit confused about all of the preparation that goes into winter here. I mean, in Chicago it has been freezing lately with lots of snow and no one paints the bottoms of their trees white or puts huge tarps around mature bushes - do they?! I have heard that we rarely get snow, and if we do, there is very little accumulation - which is a good thing because I'm pretty sure there are no snowplows here! Back to the trees...here in Tianjin they have painted the bottom of probably 90% of the trees white. I'm thinking maybe to keep some moisture in because there is so little precipitation until spring or else, maybe to protect from some sort of bug, or as Danny would say, "To keep people employed". I'm really not sure, but I will continue to ponder this until someone gives me a straight answer (which is extremely hard to come by here!). I'm also unsure about the tarps around the bushes...but I did want to feel like a local so I went out and purchased a lovely green tarp to cover up some bikes for the winter. I really fit in now, although I have no idea why I need a tarp!!



Another way the local Chinese people prepare for winter is to bring out loads of clothes. Beginning after Moon Festival (which was in September this year) most people begin to wear layers. We are not talking about a single layer of tights or long jonhs on -0 degree days, we are talking about maybe 3 layers every day. This woman on the bike obviously had on quite a few layers. On this particular day it was close to 60 degrees out and I only had a fleece on. Trust me, I get stared down when they see Coop without a layer of tights, pjs, and then pants on. And then they see he only has on 1 pair of socks and I really get a dirty look. I just smile and think, "If they only knew how cold Iowa is in the winter, they would surely understand!!"


One last thought, they must grow some very hardy roses here because I just took this picture 5 days ago. I see roses blooming every day still! This yellow one is for you mom - I know you like the yellow ones!!!

I hope everyone is staying warm!! We miss you!!

2 comments:

Shonna said...

You do realize that you are going to become a trend setter now. They are all going to start covering up there bikes because the "crazy US lady" does it.

Way to go Ms. Ambassador! :)

Oh how I miss you, you crack me up!

Shonna said...

As any true Midwesterner would know, the reason to paint the tree trunks would be to keep the branches/buds from starting to grow from the trunk, therefore making the tree more full at the top. On the other hand the tarps protect the bushes from the foraging creatures (squirrels, chipmunks, homeless people, etc.) from munching on the succulent vegetation. DUH!

Signed,
Dr. Shonna Murrey