Sunday, April 19, 2009

Betty, our tour guide!

This mini vacation was the first that we decided to hire an English speaking tour guide, and it may well have been our last!! We, or I, thought that we should really try and understand the history of Xi'an since it was so long. I am also intrigued by the terra cotta warriors, so I wanted to learn as much as I could.

Betty was the name of our guide, or we could call her YeYe if we wanted because that is her Chinese name and that is what her mom calls her!! She was a very perky girl who really told you what she was thinking every second we were with her! She had a vast knowledge of Xi'an and really appeared to love "our city"!

The problem was the fact that she didn't stop talking. The kids would be fighting and hitting each other in the back of the van and she kept going. I would have to stop for a moment while we were walking to get something out of my bag and she would keep talking and leave me behind (which now I realize was a blessing!!). Even Ethan today said, "Is Betty going to talk all day today?"! He was completely serious!!

During her random talking, she also thought it would be a good idea to comment on how handsome my husband is. She told him he looked like a movie star or a model, while I'm sitting right there. Then she told me how lucky I am, as I'm turned around yelling at the kids, and Dan is just sitting there soaking up all of the complements!! Of course, I am a very lucky girl, but I really don't appreciate someone I am paying to tell me that over and over!!!

In all honesty, she was a very nice person, who was obviously very passionate about her city! We did learn a lot because she told us alot of the facts more than once, and she did take us to places that we probably would not have visited otherwise! We will not forget Betty anytime soon!!

1 comment:

Nai-Nai said...

That is hilarious about Betty. She must have thought that you needed to get your money's worth and she went on auto pilot. Of course, I can see Daniel grinning and soaking up the compliments and looking completely innocent while chaos ruled supreme. I am glad that you saw Xian. Dad hasn't even seen it yet. I saw it in 1994 and it was amazing...so immense that it did not seem real.. nevermind that someone actually sculptured all those!