Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wacky Weekend!

I'm sitting here pondering whether family fun and being out is worth skipping a 2 year old's nap time. He is currently sitting in time out screaming because he is tired, but it is now too late to put him down for a nap! Sound familiar?!

We've been enjoying a lot of family time this weekend and of course during meal time we are drawn to the Western franchises! We eat Chinese food all week because that is what our ayi cooks for us. As you can see below, Coop is a big fan! However, on the weekend we like to indulge in our favorites like pizza and burgers! Last night at TGIF Danny and I were commenting on how different we were as a family from the previous weekend. We definitely were more awake, but there was more. We are stronger and connected in ways that a family can only be when they are together on the other side of the world. We count on each other for everything. The kids look to Danny and I to meet all of their needs. We have tried to make this move as easy as possible. We want the kids to know they are safe and loved no matter where we may be. I am almost positive (as I listen to them sing and dance upstairs) that they do not question our intent! Thank goodness for our three wonderful kids who prove to us each and every day that love knows no boundaries!!


We finally succeeded in finding a bike for Ellie yesterday. This was quite the experience and we were so fortunate to have our friend Sharon with us (she is with us in the picture below!). Ellie really wants training wheels, but Danny and I think she needs to learn to ride without them. She is almost 7 for goodness sakes!! Well, she will now have to learn to ride without the help because she is too big for all of the bikes with training wheels here and they don't sell them seperately! Danny worked with her for a little bit yesterday, but it was wicked hot out! I'm going to try this week to help build up her confidence, but if anyone has any suggestions, we welcome them!!


This morning we went to church. Coop had a little difficulty going to the nursery this week. I think he went so easily last week because he had no clue I was leaving. This week I left him crying because I assumed he would calm down once I was gone (isn't that what most kids do!). Not Coop, he is my fiesty little guy. One of the teachers had to come to us during the service. Danny went to calm him down and then he had a ball! We had a great speaker today from Australia. He was quite entertaining and had a wonderful message to share. His message was simple, love is patient. He talked about how sad it was in so many countries that people live alone because they cannot be bothered to be patient with those around them. Here in China, love has to be patient. Families live in very small spaces and they must depend on each other. Here, family is everything. We can all learn something about love from the Chinese family unit!

After church, we were able to meet some more new families. We have felt so welcome! We went to lunch with Jennifer and Kevin again. This time to a yummy French sandwich shop. The kids all had their own table so it was nice to get to chat in between pulling apart Eens and Ty. I think they really like each other, almost too much. They both like to touch and end up in a wrestling match! Typical 4 year old boy stuff I think! Ty just got a cast off of his arm though, so we have to be careful that Eens isn't too rough!


After we finished lunch, I realized that dear Coop needed a new diaper. This was the moment I was dreading - we had to use a public bathroom. We all know that public restrooms are best avoided, but here in China, I would rather pee outside than go into one of these! But, we were in a shopping center so we had no choice. I held my nose and lead Coop and Ellie into the bathroom. Okay, there is no changing table. I think to myself that I am going to have to change Coop standing up. This would normally not be a problem, but there is poop in his diaper. He is my third child, so I go for it! I was just thankful that the ice he had ate the night before didn't cause diarhea (the water here is not really good for drinking and I forgot to order the kids drinks without ice!). Coop was all set and now I had to show Ellie how to use a squatter. She walked in and saw the hole in the ground and turned around and walked right back out. There was no way she was going to use the potty. Of course, I was giggling and took a picture so you all know I am not exagerating about the squatter. Next time El will probably listen to me when I say go to the bathroom before we leave the house!!!


I hope everyone is enjoying the Olympics! We love watching, we just wish we could understand what they are saying!!! Have a great Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kimmie - so glad you have this post! Very excited to hear about your adventures in China! Can't wait for the next post. My favorite quote is "Why aren't they going to Ethantown" :)