Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The have's and have not's

Well, it's hard to believe this, but we have been living in China now for a month! It has flown by for the most part, of course some days drag, but there were those days back in the States too!! We have spent this week playing with friends, exploring some more, and checking out Ancient Culture Street. The kids start school next week and even though I am so ready to start a routine, I will miss all of our bonding time that we have had this summer!! I might even miss the constant bickering, we'll see! El and I go tomorrow morning for her orientation. She is pretty nervous, but she is really coming out of her shell here so I know she will be just fine!!

Yesterday we went to Ancient Culture Street with ayi! It is a street lined with shops that sell traditional Chinese arts and crafts! They also have street vendors, some Peking opera installments, and tons of shoppers. Eens wanted a panda made out of some sort of sugar concoction. This will give you an idea of how popular we are here...we were the only people standing in front of this vendor when he began, by the end, there was a television camera, about 10 people taking pictures and another 30 people watching what all of the fuss was about! The boys also decided they needed Chinese masks and El insisted on a dainty fan! Of course, this drew more attention to us, but we're pretty used to it by now! I got some artwork for the walls and will go back soon with Danny to pick out more!! It is lovely and very inexpensive if you consider the time that goes into each piece!

Yes, that is a tv camera beside Eens!

Elllie has been spending a ton of time with the little girls in our compound. They go back and forth between houses playing board games, Polly, watching movies, and seeing which house has the best snack! Her friends are from all over the world and I couldn't be more proud of El for looking only on the inside and not seeing the differences. I keep asking myself why adults can't be more like children in this area and see people from the inside out!!


I was very fortunate today to have some mommy time!! Yippee, it had been a long time coming and I'm pretty sure it was well deserved!! I went to Starbucks - yummy - and had coffee with a new friend who just arrived with her family from the states. Then we got to do, as my mother-in-law, would say, a little retail therapy!! On the drive back to her place, we shared all of the places we had found and traded business cards that we had collected!! This is the only way to get around in a taxi or with a driver because there is no way I am going to attempt to say the names of these streets!! Our next jaunt may be to Beijing to explore IKEA!!! I need a "normal" sized garbage can! I hope you're up for it Sharon!!!


I'll end today with my reflections on what I have and have not done this past month...


I have...
watched proudly as El mastered her 2 wheeled bike

ate food that I have no idea what it was

cried over a sad movie that I thought was a romantic comedy

been frustrated

been confused

found granola bars after looking at 5 different stores

washed dishes on Saturday

played our 5 games over and over with the kids

watched men pee on the side of the street

learned that a little dirt won't hurt anyone

used my pocket dictionary daily

watched Ellie play with little girls from all over

witnessed pure joy on my children's faces

forgotten my 9 year wedding anniversary

cried over pictures

laughed out loud

giggled over the pronunciation of so, so (mama huhu)

drank at least 2 cups of coffee a day

kissed all of Cooper's booboos

watched Eens become the best big brother

enjoyed all of the bonding with my family

I have not...

had a massage

drank the milk

done laundry

gotten used to almost being hit by a bus daily

let my children see me cry when I am homesick

learned much Chinese

lost my sense of humor

stopped shopping at Gymboree (the internet is a lifesaver!)

bought an air purifier

stopped exploring and learning even though it is exhausting

stopped missing the states

lost Faith

I'm not sure when we will be able to call this "home", but for now I am thankful that we made it through our first month and we are happy, even though at the moment I have tears in my eyes!!!

4 comments:

Nai-Nai said...

Dearest Kimmie,

We are so proud of all of you but especially of you! I promise you that when your great "adventure" is over, you will look back with fond remembrances and will miss many things you are now experiencing.

Shonna said...

Darn you Kim, I was doing really good, until the end. You just had to say something about missing the states... and tears. :)

2 yrs (yes, I have faith it will only be 2 yrs.) will go by really fast!!!!

Miss you tons!
Love ya,
Shonna

Unknown said...

Oh, I have tears in my eyes too! That was a wonderful post.

You are doing great. So great.

Keeping Faith is what will get you through.

Just wondering, what's the deal with the milk?

Megan Ramirez said...

Okay along with the other posts I was doing good reading all your posts until I got to this one. Now I am crying. You are doing so good! I am an emotional roller coaster these days and seem to cry over everything, NO I am not prego! so thanks for getting my crying out for the day. I could only dream my kids would get some of the experiences your family is having. Congratulations and don't worry about crying, it is good for you, right? Miss you! Love Megan