Sunday, August 24, 2008

I'm a Bad Tooth Fairy!!

You know, when you finally have to admit you're bad at something it is really not that easy! I knew all along that I was not as good as my mom at being the tooth fairy or santa, but now I know I don't even come close!! You see, I believed in santa until I was probably 12 years old. I'm sure I probably had questions, but I loved the magic of Christmas morning and I never wanted that to go away! I have attempted to recreate this magic for my children, but it is not as easy as my mom made it look! I have tried so hard to be a good tooth fairy for Ellie. When she lost her first tooth, the tooth fairy left a certificate, sprinkled gold stars around her room, and gave her money. The second tooth, she got money, and it has pretty much went downhill since then! The bottom line is Ellie found her last two teeth that the tooth fairy had taken. She found them in the same baggies she had left them in under the pillow, so there was no doubt that those were hers!!! She didn't tell me right away, instead she put them in my purse. When I first saw them, I wondered why I had put them in my purse. Then it dawned on me, Ellie had been working at my desk the day before and they were in the drawer. I asked Ellie if she had put some teeth in my purse and she said that she needed to put them back under her pillow to get some more money. She didn't really ask too many questions about why they were in my drawer, so the tooth fairy's identity may be safe for a little while, but I'm not sure for how long!!

Besides the tooth fairy event, we have been having a fun weekend!! Yesterday we started the day off with some shots - which is always fun!! The kids were able to start their rabies shots here since there is a shortage in the US and Danny and I started our Japanese Encephalitis shots. Both of these shots have to be done in a series of three so we get to go back to the SOS (international medical clinic) next Saturday and do it again! Coop was the bravest out of the 3 and poor little Eens had to go last, so he was distraught!! Nurse Nancy was very sweet and caring - I'm sure she is thrilled that she has to do this 2 more times!!

After the shots our friend David, who has helped us get our residence permits, and his girlfriend Nancy came over and took us to a traditional Chinese lunch! They called it the "forest" and I was a bit scared. My first thought was that we were going to the middle of nowhere to eat lunch in a forest, and then I thought, maybe we were just going to a restaurant with a few trees! Neither presumptions were correct. We went to this lovely restaurant that truly looked and felt like a forest. We ate in a private room seperated from everything else by bamboo. There were at least 100 different dishes to choose from and all of the seafood was alive, until it was needed for a dish! There were even two seals swimming in a pool - don't worry, they were for show, not to eat! The food, company, and atmosphere were wonderful!! The kids even behaved and Ellie was thrilled that they had 1 "normal" potty there!!!




After lunch, David took us to a new club he is opening. It's not a club, club, it's a place where you can go and play board games and computer games. It is sort of like a coffee house, but with games. I will be very interested to watch and see if this concept catches on here. He has done a great job decorating the place and he is very excited to officially open up in a couple of weeks!!
After a quick break at home, we headed to Nanjing Lu to meet Jennifer and Kevin for dinner at Papa John's!! There is something about restaurants here and the way that the food tastes better. Danny and I are not sure if this is because we've been away from American food, or maybe they are able to find fresher ingredients, or maybe these western restaurants are so new here they try extra hard to make everything perfect so they can stay open. I'm not sure, but it's kind of funny when Papa John's is considered fine dining!! We definitely enjoyed the food and the company. I feel that meeting Jennifer and Kevin was a true blessing for us. We have many of the same philosophies on raising children and we like a lot of the same things. God was definitely leading us when we met them and we are so thankful everytime we are with them!!

Today we went to church and it was packed and hot. There is air conditioning in the auditorium, but today everyone that was away for the summer was back and the tiny units could not keep up! Coop also decided that he would have nothing to do with going to the nursery, so I had to keep him on my lap for the sermon. I'll be honest, I really have no idea what the nice man was talking about. Between trying to fan Coop and telling him not to shout that he was ready to go, I had very little time to listen! Thankfully we were sitting next to a new couple that just got here with their four children. They completely understood and I'm hoping we may have made new friends out of the adventure!!

This is a picture of the TV tower close to our house. It is great when it is actually clear outside because we can use it to reference how close we are to home!! We've had two clear, beautiful days in a row, which is shocking!!!

Danny has the little ones outside so I am enjoying a few precious moments of quiet!! Only 7 days until Ellie starts school!!! I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful family and friend filled weekend!! We're sending lots of love to you all!!!

No comments: