Friday, July 25, 2008

Bring on the movers!

After all of the planning and preparing it came time for moving day, or should I say days! Before the movers arrived, we had to have our air shipment (everything had to fit in a 6x6x6 box) sitting out and then post it notes on everything we were taking to China.

The packers arrived on a Friday and totally took over the house. I was not as prepared as I thought I would be, but I had no idea what to expect. If I had to do it over again, I definitely would have found a sitter or a friend’s house for the kids. There were 7 packers and they just went to a room and started packing. I thought they would get the air shipment done and maybe the basement, but oh no, they were determined to get as much packed as they could in one day. Everything seemed to go pretty well until I walked down to the basement and watched as they were packing all of my new things into boxes for storage. I even had a big sign on the wall over where these things were located that said CHINA. I started to worry, so when they left I checked about five boxes and found several items that were supposed to go to China. I keep telling myself even if there is more that was packed incorrectly, they are just things and it won‘t matter. Secretly I know myself too well and if something is missing, I will just buy it in September when we come back for my brother’s wedding!

All in all, Friday went by quickly and we only had one slash in a couch! I think they were in a bit of a hurry!!

They came back again on Monday and finished packing the entire house - it’s amazing how it took me 2 ½ years to put the house together and basically in less than 24 hours, it was taken apart! I only had a few crying spells during the packing. After the packers were done, the movers came and started taking each shipment separately. This lasted until Wednesday. When the house was quiet and empty, then I had my cry fest. I walked through the house and saw all of the little marks the kids had made on the walls, a few stains on the carpet from spilled juice, fingerprints still fresh on the windows, a corner with a small bit of paint missing where the tube for Coop’s oxygen would sit every night while we slept, and all I wanted was everything put back in place.

I try not to let myself bask in self pity for too long, so then I cleaned until the house was sparkling!! It was great therapy and I’m sure the new owners were very pleased!

No comments: